List:       ntbugtraq
Subject:    ntbackup bug between 2003 and XP Pro
From:       "Brian S. Bergin" <ntbugtraq () TERABYTE ! NET>
Date:       2003-04-30 23:33:34

First, I'm new to the list so I hope we can also post XP/2003 Server issues
here.  If not, I apologize.  I saw nothing in the FAQ about anything other
than NT, a discontinued OS, so I assumed this would move forward to the
latest OSs out of Redmond.

If you try to use a tape created in 2003 Server RTM in XP Pro SP1 it will
fail.  We've tested this on two different dual boot systems, both are 4mm,
but one is DDS-2 with the other DDS-4.  Here's how to repro:

0) Have a box with both XP Pro and 2003 installed, though on separate
partitions.  This is just to prove to MS that it's not a problem with
incompatible firmware between two different drives.

1) Take a virgin tape, use it in 2003 using the native backup utility
(ntbackup.exe).  Give the tape a name, say Monday.  Put data on the tape.
Do NOT restrict access to admins, just put data on the tape.

2) Verify the data is there by doing a test restore.

3) Reboot to XP Pro SP1.  Put the tape in the drive and start
ntbackup.exe.  Go to "Restore and Manage Media".  It will recognize the
tape and show you the name you gave it in #1 above.  Right click and select
catalog on the tape.  After a short while you'll get:

>Error: The device reported an error on a request to read data from media.
>Error reported: Invalid command.
>There may be a hardware or media problem.
>Please check the system event log for relevant failures.

Event Viewer doesn't show any ntbackup-related errors.  RSM does stop and
restart near that time, but not at the exact time.  It's like the 2003 tape
crashes RSM.

4) Now try to append to this tape.  You will get the same type of error.

5) Now try to replace the data on the tape.  You will get the same type of
error.

6) Back in "Restore and Manage Media", right click and set the tape to
"free", now repeat steps 4 & 5 above.  You'll find it works perfectly.

Fix:
The only fix we've found, and we asked MS yesterday AM in
privatenews.microsoft.com NNTP groups, is to copy the ntbackup.exe from
2003 Server over XP Pro SP1's.  You must first, however, remove the
ntbackup.exe from the dllcache folder for this to work.  I'm sure this
"violates" MS's licensing agreement so I'm not recommending it at this
time; however, I am encouraging MS to issue a fix immediately.  With this
"fix" we have been able to successfully restore data on XP Pro SP1 from
tapes created with ntbackup.exe in 2003 Server.

Also, we've not had time to test it, but since tapes work from 2000 Pro to
2003 Server and to XP Pro we're betting that 2003 tapes will not work in
2000 Server or Pro which means that one would be unable to restore from
2003 Server to 2000 Server, a major problem if a backup server is 2000 and
the 2003 box fails.  We will try to test this in the coming days unless
someone else can confirm this.

Our main test system:

    * Tyan Thunderbolt-R motherboard
    * Dual P3-700 CPUs
    * 1GB ECC RAM
    * Onboard Adaptec LVD SCSI
    * Adaptec 2100S RAID-5 controller
    * 4 18GB SCSI drives using U160-certified physically terminated cable
(they are the only devices on the RAID controller)
    * IDE DVD ROM drive
    * IDE CDRW drive
    * IDE LS-120 drive
    * ATI Radeon 8500DV video card
    * XP Pro SP1 installed on C: partition
    * 2003 Server Std Edition RTM installed on D: partition
    * Seagate DDS-4 tape drive w/ latest firmware attached to motherboard
SCSI and terminated at the drive and auto at the board using LVD-certified
and physically terminated cable (it's the only device on this cable and
this channel on the motherboard)
    * Maxell HS-4/150s 4mm DDS-4 tapes
    * hardware compression enabled

Sincerely,
Terabyte Computers, Inc.

Brian S. Bergin
President

http://www.terabyte.net

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Have you discovered a security vulnerability related to Windows or a
commercial product which runs on Windows?

Need assistance crafting the format or translating your advisory to English?

Need to verify it, or having problems contacting the Vendor?

Contact mailto:Advisories@NTBugtraq.com

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo