List:       ntbugtraq
Subject:    Re: Explorer 100% utilization in Windows XP - Workaround
From:       Russ <Russ.Cooper () RC ! ON ! CA>
Date:       2003-04-18 14:47:12

Looks like we have a workaround which works in some scenarios, but we also have a few \
new scenarios.

Thanks to allan.vanleeuwen@ORANGEMAIL for submitting the following;
-----
There is a better workaround for this :

Go to : Control Panel/Display/Appearance Tab/Effects Button

And *disable* (uncheck) the transition effects....

Credits to my collegue Lex Croes who found this workaround!
-----

[Editors Note]I have tested this on my systems and it worked fine. I also got Mark \
Luczkowski to test it, which he did on one of his systems set to use single-clicks, \
and it worked fine for him too. I got a couple of other notes in on this issue as \
well;

Craig w reports;
-----
We have had this problem since the install of XPSP1. Our video editing suite had 90% \
of the XP pc's use 100% CPU - explorer.exe. The way XP handles movie files and music \
files seems to be the main issue.

There is a workaround.

1. Change Explorer to "use windows classic folders"

2. Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to the key below and delete the default data \
(right pane).

For AVI's

HKEY CLASSES ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler

For MP3's

HKEY CLASSES ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.mp3\shellex\PropertyHandler

Note:  Make a backup (export) the key before editing just for precautionary measures.

That should fix it until MS release a Fix to the public. A fix is available but you \
                have to call them.
-----

And Silvio de Pecher reports;
-----
I can get this effect if I open  a directory with multimedia files and if there is \
one or more video that Exporer can't play because it hasn't the right codec. At this \
point CPU goes to 100% and the only thing to do is call the task manager and kill the \
                Explorer.
-----

Cheers,
Russ - NTBugtraq Editor

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Have you discovered a security vulnerability related to Windows or a
commercial product which runs on Windows?

Need assistance crafting the format or translating your advisory to English?

Need to verify it, or having problems contacting the Vendor?

Contact mailto:Advisories@NTBugtraq.com

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo