List:       ntbugtraq
Subject:    Re: Alert: Microsoft Security Bulletin - MS03-013 - Windows 2000 Warning
From:       "Herrick, Joe" <joe.herrick () DIGEX ! COM>
Date:       2003-04-17 19:52:10

The issue with MS03-007 was that the updated version of ntdll.dll was
incompatible with certain versions of ntoskrnl.exe.  MS03-013 appears to
include an updated version of nsoskrnl.exe (5.0.2195.6159) which, according
the bulletin for MS03-007, should resolve the compatiblity issue you
mentioned.  As always, test in a non-production environment.

When I did a binary compare between the two copies of ntdll.dll, I did not
find any difference at offset 0x8-0xA.  I did find a difference at offset
0x00D8-0x00DB, which is where the timestamp is stored in the file header,
and another at 0x0128-0x012B, which is the image checksum.  The timestamp
bytes are part of the checksum calculation, so when the timestamp changs, so
does the checksum.

Joe Herrick
NT Engineer
joe.herrick@digex.com