List:       ntbugtraq
Subject:    Windows Explorer
From:       Allen Eustace <aeustace () APRICO-CONSULT ! COM>
Date:       2002-01-22 15:46:26

This might be off-topic but I put it to you anyway. When you do a search on
your computer for files and folders under Windows XP it contacts
sa.windows.com (207.46.226.40) on port 80. This behaviour seems to be a
backdoor channel using the front door. I cannot find any documentation on
this "feature". Perhaps someone on the list can enlighten me on this
surreptitious behaviour.

Allen Eustace
Network and Systems Administrator
Aprico Consultants
Leuvensesteenweg 325
B-1932  Zaventem

Pho: 32(0)2 725.45.26
Fax: 32(0)2 725.56.85

Email: aeustace@aprico-consult.com
Web Page: http://www.aprico-consult.com

This message may contain confidential information destined to be read
only by the intended recipient. No other persons should read, use,
publish or reproduce the content of this message.If you receive this
message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately.The information
contained in this message represents the personal opinions of the
individual that sent it and should not be construed as representing the
position of APRICO Consultants S.A.

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Delivery co-sponsored by VeriSign - The Internet Trust Company
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Do you have 128-bit SSL encryption server security?
Get VeriSign's FREE Guide, "Securing Your Web Site for Business," and learn
everything you need to know about using 128-bit SSL to encrypt your
e-commerce transactions, secure your intranets and authenticate your Web
site. 128-bit SSL is serious security for your online business. Get it now!
http://www.verisign.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?a=n094765650008000
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo