List:       ntbugtraq
Subject:    Administrivia #36268 - Say goodbye to NTBugtraq before Christmas
From:       Russ <Russ.Cooper () RC ! ON ! CA>
Date:       2001-12-20 9:42:39

Just a short Administrivia note before the holiday season. If you don't
already know, Administrivia messages are notes from me to you about the list
(usually), and the title shows you how many subscribers there are to boot!

Say Goodbye??

Yup, see, somewhere around 500 of you are going to be leaving the list
shortly. At this time of the year people are all full of the season and
dashing and dancing to get home for some much needed, and well deserved,
vacation. For several thousand of you, that means putting up an Out of
Office message, something catchy and friendly and usually full of WAY too
much information for general public consumption (let's see, I know your
wife's name, your telephone number, where you're going for vacation, and the
names of three other people who's work is related to security...think I can
get a password and dial-up number from those other people who don't do that
full time?)

Unfortunately, all too many people use the Out of Office Agent in Outlook
(incorrectly?), or in one way or another don't manage to get NTBugtraq list
messages filtered prior to their wonderful automatic response being sent.
And since Outlook, like so many other Windows-based mail programs, doesn't
implement RFC822 just quite right, it sends a message to the "From:" address
in the message...even when there's a darn good "Sender:" address present
(maybe Sender was never part of MAPI, so it doesn't exist and the RFC rules
are just flat out wrong?)

What that means is for the rest of us poor slobs who man the posts over the
holidays, and those special few who post a message, we all get to see (well,
would get to see) hundreds of automatic responses to every message (even
more than you posters see now!).

Well, darn it, I'm just not going to let that happen!

Don't ask me how not to offend, there's perfectly good documentation
somewhere that'll help you figure it out.

Everyone who responds automagically, regardless of how cute, sensitive, or
polite the response, gets deleted...bye! Oh, and Seasons Greetings to you
too!

Cheers,
Russ - NTBugtraq Editor

Protect your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption!
Get VeriSign's FREE guide, "Securing Your Web Site for Business." You will
learn everything you need to know about using SSL to encrypt your e-commerce
transactions for serious online security.  Click here!
http://www.verisign.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?a=n016065650057000