List:       ntbugtraq
Subject:    Re: Windows Critical Update
From:       Eric <ews () TELLURIAN ! NET>
Date:       2001-12-19 20:54:42

The 01-058 patch is not yet included in Windows Update.  Sometimes it takes
a while after the patch is released before it appears on Windows
Update.  It looks like the 01-05 patch was just added to
WindowsUpdate.  Since WIndows Update doesn't understand that 01-058 exists,
it doesn't know that 01-055 was superseded by 01-055.  When WU scans your
machine, it doesn't see the reg entries for 01-055, (and it doesn't know
that it's been superseded), so it tells you you need the patch.  False
positive in this case.

HFNetChk uses the mssecure.xml file which is updated with patch information
usually 4 to 6 hours after a patch is released.  The XML file notes that
01-055 is superseded by 01-058 and hence won't even look for it if you're
running a version that has been superseded (in the default hfnetchk
configuration)  It will report that you need 01-058, unless you've already
installed it, which you did, in which case you are up to date.

http://www.verisign.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?a=n016065650057000