List:       ntbugtraq
Subject:    Re: MS01-058 broke my IE6
From:       Russ <Russ.Cooper () RC ! ON ! CA>
Date:       2001-12-18 15:26:47

A number of people have contacted me about the lack of any message regarding
the availability of MS01-058.

Microsoft issued the patch on December 13th, 2001, and on the 14th I
received two messages (below) indicating it (the patch) had broken the
system it was installed on. I contacted the Microsoft Security Response
Center and they indicated they hadn't received any other reports of problems
(as of the 14th) and hadn't heard of customers reporting problems deploying
it.

I thought to wait for more feedback (two reports of problems really isn't
enough to go out with a warning on), or for MS to remove the patch (if they
got enough reports). I was also aware of the *potential* for MS to release
v2.0 to address the issues that HTTP-Equiv rose.

So I've held off mentioning the patch;

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS01-058.asp

But then you have the dire warnings coming from some media outlets that IE
users need to patch Now!

Firstly, of the few IE vulnerabilities that we have actually seen exploited
(or attempted) en-masse, they have typically come several months after the
release of exploit code. Also, when they're dependent on a server being up
to deliver the payload, they don't spred far (or the part that works with
the payload stops working because the site has been taken down).

This isn't to say the patch doesn't address serious issues, Microsoft's
Severity Rating for systems running IE 6.0 is "Critical" across the board.
However, the urgency with which you need to deploy this is offset by the
potential for problems deploying. I'd choose to err on the side of caution
given the installation reports below, and make sure you install on a system
you don't mind destroying before you deploy across your organization.

If anyone else has experienced problems with MS01-058, let me know.

Cheers,
Russ - Surgeon General of TruSecure Corporation/NTBugtraq Editor