List:       ntbugtraq
Subject:    Reducing your Outbound Bandwidth
From:       Ben Koshy <ben () W3MEDIA ! NET>
Date:       2001-09-18 21:01:30

I'm not sure if this is helpful to anyone, but we noticed massive
outbound traffic from many of our web servers.  Upon closer inspection
we found that were getting massive amounts of IIS compromise requests,
but since we were patched we were just sending back 404 pages.  The
default Windows 2000K IIS 404 page is about 3Kb.  By re-pointing the
default 404 error page to a one byte file (it contained a space, or
optionally just put the text '404') it cut down our outbound traffic by
100-300 fold.  I'm sure by editing other error pages you can further
reduce your outbound traffic.

Ben Koshy
ben@w3media.net
Technical Manager
W3 International Media Ltd.
http://www.w3media.com
PH:(604) 871-9899 x388

TREND MICRO SCANMAIL FOR EXCHANGE 2000 -- SECOND to NONE

If you are worried about email viruses, you need Trend Micro ScanMail for
Exchange. ScanMail is the first antivirus solution that seamlessly
integrates with the Microsoft Exchange 2000 virus-scanning API 2.0. ScanMail
ensures 100% inbound and outbound email virus scanning and provides remote
software management. Download a FREE 30-day trial copy of ScanMail and find
out why it is the best:
http://www.antivirus.com/banners/tracking.asp?si=8&BI;=240&UL;=/smex2000