List:       nt-mgrs
Subject:    [nt-mgrs] [summary] Why do some users have these folders?
From:       "Suzan E. Gunsalus" <gunsalus () serc1 ! si ! edu>
Date:       2000-04-11 15:09:44

Well, only two of you attempted this one.  Thanks to Bill Kearney and Ben
McDougall.  Both affirmed that this has something to do with profiles, perhaps
roaming profiles or when the 'profile path' or 'home directory' is set.  Ben, in
particular, said that Win95 and Win98 (rather than WinNT Wksta) do it when User
Profiles are enabled.  He suggested that they default to saving this on the
user's home directory.  Based on the timing of the appearance of these things
(what I was working on just then) and the contents of the 'Recent' folder, I
think he is on target.  In addition to similar thoughts, Bill suggested that
roaming profile, profile path, and home path are poorly documented and do not
work intuitively.  Maybe they don't even work as they are supposed to.

Based on your ideas, I did some experimenting (getting interrupted and losing my
train of thought at every turn), and I cannot reproduce the behavior.  Moreover,
In logging in at a Win95 machine, I did not find my personal share to be
automagically connected (as specified in the User Manager for Domains), although
this happens correctly other places - at least SOME of the time?!

Finally I got bold, and I simply deleted all of that stuff.  I will let everyone
know if it returns or if any disasters follow the deletion.  Meantime, the
original question follows.  Thanks again for your ideas guys.

							Suzie

Original question:
------------------
> Some users, including me, have the following folders in their  personal shares on
> my PDC.  Others do not.  They do not appear to change daily.  I realize that
> these are folders that are part of a user profile.  I don't have roaming
> profiles enabled for any of the users in question.  Can anyone think what causes
> these to appear?
>
>       Recent
>       Application Data
>       NetHood
>       Cookies
>       Desktop
>       History
>       My Documents

	Suzan E. Gunsalus
	Director of Information Technology
	Smithsonian Environmental Research Center
	301-261-4190 x220