List:       nt-mgrs
Subject:    [nt-mgrs] More on What's going on here
From:       "Suzan E. Gunsalus" <gunsalus () serc1 ! si ! edu>
Date:       2000-01-13 19:39:43

I'm making some progress.  In fact, I've got two of the three machines fixed,
can't work on the third one just now, and have probably discovered a fourth.
Here are some of the things that I found.

On one of the machines that wasn't working, WINIPCFG showed that it had the
wrong subnet information (255.0.0.0 instead of 255.255.255.0).  I'm not sure how
it got this, since it had apparently gotten all the other correct info from the
DHCP server.  At any rate, I had it release everything and renew everything.
First try, it took a bizarre ip address.  I think this machine has that
AUTOCONFIGURE IP on it - where it configures itself if it doesn't here from a
DHCP Server fast enough.  More on that later.  At any rate, I tried again,
rebooting in the process, and it got the correct info.  Thereafter, it worked.

On another of the machines that wasn't working, WINIPCFG showed that it was
configured as a BROADCAST node instead of HYBRID.  Again I tried releasing all
information, but it didn't change.  So I deleted the protocol bindings to the
dial-up adaptor (installed when purchased and never used).  A reboot brought it
up as a HYBRID node, and things are working now.

On the third, I've already discovered that the subnet mask is wrong.  Just can't
do the work right now to fix it.  I think it is also doing that AUTOCONFIGURE
thing.

So for the next obvious question - does anyone know how to get rid of the
AUTOCONFIGURE thing?

						Suzie
	Suzan E. Gunsalus
	Director of Information Technology
	Smithsonian Environmental Research Center
	301-261-4190 x220