List:       nt-mgrs
Subject:    [nt-mgrs] [ADDENDUM] The Continuing Saga of Clint vs. Exchange/Outlook
From:       "Clint Potts" <cpotts () c-3tech ! com>
Date:       1999-11-22 18:17:27

Hello everyone,

After I posted my summary (included below) I received an excellent note from
Mike Tanner. His note nails the problem I was having with the Meeting
Planner in Outlook not finding calendar users' schedule information on a
consistent basis. Since he describes it so perfectly, I'll let him do so
again by including his note.

Again, let me thank ALL OF YOU who have assisted me in many ways great and
small in figuring out my first real battle with Exchange. You are great
people to give me your time so freely.

Here is the note from Mike Tanner:

Clint -

Outlook/Exchange clients match typed text against an address book using any
of:

- Last Name
- Display Name
- Alias Name
- Office
- Email address

If your typed text does not get underlined then it didn't match any of
these.  Note:  it has nothing to do with the NT logon name.  In many cases
your Alias may be similar to your NT logon (e.g.: CPotts or ClintP).  Check
this in Exchange Administrator.

One other important thing to watch for:  the client name resolution searches
address books in a specific order and will stop looking when it finds an
address book that contains at least one match.  For example, suppose a user
has a 'Personal Address Book' as well as the Exchange 'Global Address List'
and there is a 'Clint Potts' listed in both places.  If the 'Personal
Address Book' is first in the address book list ... then if you type 'Clint
P' into the meeting planner (or into the To: field in a new message) Outlook
will match it against the entry in the Personal Address Book and will NEVER
check the Global Address List, even though there is a matching entry there
too.  Obviously only entries in the Global Address List will have free/busy
and Calendar information.

You can check and change the Address Book search order in Tools-Services,
Addressing tab, under 'When sending mail ...'.

For testing the 'Plan a meeting' tool and access to users' calendars you are
probably better off to manually choose the invitees from the address book (I
think it's the 'Invite Others' button) rather than relying on automatic
resolution of names.

Hope this helps.

------
Mike Tanner
Network Administrator
Clearwater Fine Foods Inc.

--------------End Mike's Note

Thanks Mike! It helped a lot.

Until the next problem rears its ugly head...

Clint Potts, Apple Network Designer and MCP
Owner/Consultant
C-3 Technologies, LLC
Chandler, AZ