List:       nssldap
Subject:    [nssldap] groupOfNames performance
From:       Cove Schneider <cove_s () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2009-05-15 0:08:21

Hi folks,

We are in the process of switching to using AD to store Unix directory information. \
Due to the size of some of our groups, we have to use the "member" attribute to store \
the DNs of the members vs. using memberUid.

One issue however is that the enumeration of users' group memberships generates a lot \
of quires, and takes close to 1 second to complete. We're not entirely sure what the \
impact will be on our Linux desktop users, other systems that have performance \
requirements or the AD servers themselves just yet. (By comparison, our current \
lookups are < .1 seconds.) Nscd of course helps, but it does crash on occasion, and \
it does need to expire its cache eventually, at which point there could be a hang \
during the re-enumeration.

One of the things we were wondering about is since we are keeping all of our Unix \
groups under a single OU, nss_ldap doesn't really need to query each member of a \
group to determine if it itself is another group -- I'm assuming that's what's going \
on during the enumeration(?). It could short circuit this traversal if the base DN of \
the member is not under our group base DN.

Does anyone have any thoughts here?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks,

Cove