List:       nssldap
Subject:    Re: [nssldap] getent on hp-ux
From:       "int Mike Jackson" <mjj () isorauta ! ntc ! nokia ! com>
Date:       2002-12-20 17:28:51

ext Bob Joslin (bob.joslin@hp.com) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The LDAP-UX product (www.software.hp.com) includes a tool called beq
> (back end query) which will allow you to specify any database.  It works
> similar to nsquery.  It's possibly a good substitue for your pwget
> needs.

Hi Bob,
 I just looked at it and it is not really suitable for my needs. I want
a tool, like getent (in C or perl), that will allow me to type:

getent passwd

 and it will list every user account that it can find. Or every entry in
whatever database is specified.

 Well, I have a perl script that perfectly duplicates the GNU gentent
binary so I don't need to ask any further. It would be nice to include
this with the LDAP-UX product. I am waiting on a reply from the author
wrt the licensing of his script.

> My understanding is that HP-UX 11i (B.11.11) does come with perl5.

 It seems that the LDAP-UX product does as well, or maybe some person
has just placed this file here :-)

root@popper:/opt/ldapux/contrib/bin
# ls -al
total 4628
drwxr-xr-x   2 bin        bin             96 Nov  4 14:11 .
drwxr-xr-x   3 bin        bin             96 Nov  4 14:11 ..
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root       sys         618328 Sep 13 19:20 beq
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root       sys         741032 Sep 13 19:20 beq_64
-r-xr-xr-x   1 bin        bin        1008967 Jun  8  1999 perl

root@popper:/opt/ldapux/contrib/bin
# ./perl -v

This is perl, version 5.005_02 built for PA-RISC1.1

 I'm really not sure, since I didn't install the depot or looked further
into it.

BR,
--
Mike