List:       nssldap
Subject:    [nssldap] problems with nss_ldap redhat 7.3
From:       Gregg Lebovitz <gregg () suma ! com>
Date:       2002-07-31 12:22:04

I am having trouble getting nss_ldap (and possibly pam_ldap) working on
redhat 7.3. I am using nss_ldap 189. Authentication is working properly
and I can login using telnet, ssh, and a console terminal (in text
mode). When I try to login to a gdm window, I get an authentication
failed message saying that the the user group cannot be set.

I believe that gdm cannot get the gid from getpwent. I can get the same
results if I create a user /etc/password with a blank value for the gid.

If I login via telnet, ssh, or at a text console, I can use chown, and
chgrp to set file user and group for users that only exist in ldap.

Any suggestions on why gdm would fail to get the gid?

Gregg