List:       nsbasic-palm
Subject:    [nsbasic-palm] Re: Compacting a pdb
From:       "steveturski" <steve () turski ! com>
Date:       2002-06-28 20:53:58

>Also Mike, is there a way to "compact" a palm pdb? My database has
>swelled to nearly 1mb in size. I have 9 fields in the table, one of
>which is a "misc. info" field. I know in Access, you can compact and
>such a table would be about 1/3 this size. I hate to take up this
>much space on users palms.
>Thanks,
>Steve

I did it!  My pdb with 1039 records started out as 890kb.  I saved
via PDB converter as an excel file and imported the excel file into
MS Access.  In Access, I made a new access table with 10 fields and I
set each of the 10 fields size to a specific value (I went thru the
imported table, column by column and figured out the largest
record...edited some to make shorter). Then ran an append query in
Access to append the data from the imported Excel table into the new
table.  Then I exported the new table, again as an Excel file, opened
the file in PDA Converter, resorted and saved as a pdb.  The final
result was going from 890kb to 123kb!!!!  I just couldn't put
something out there for my application users that was going to take
up over 1mb of their palms memory space.  The Excel files (that is
what I started out with in the first place) must not be as compact as
Access files.  Since it doesn't look like we are ever going to have
memory card access from NSB, I think it important to keep our
applications and pdb's as small as possible.  If Microsoft had had
this attitude, maybe Windows wouldn't be so LARGEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
....Steve

Community email addresses:
 Post message: nsbasic-palm@yahoogroups.com
 Subscribe:  nsbasic-palm-subscribe@yahoogroups.com