List:       npaci-rocks-discussion
Subject:    [Rocks-Discuss]  Building a ROCKS bundle with CentOS 7??
From:       Michael Rhoades <mrhoades () perceptionfactory ! com>
Date:       2017-04-07 18:37:04

Hello All,

I am still having issues with the cluster I am trying to configure. The
head node is a DELL R320 and there are several DELL R720 compute nodes.
I have updated the firmware on all of the servers to the current level.

When I was using ROCKS 6.1.1 I could not get PXE boot to work at all. So
I then loaded ROCKS 6.2 on the head node. PXE booting worked... However,
now each of the compute nodes will only boot to the "ROCKS will load in
3, 2, 1, 0 seconds" prompt and then they hang. They never go to the
command prompt. I can ssh into any one of them and each is stuck trying
to load the jexec service.

I strongly suspect that if ROCKS could be running a current version of
CentOS all would be well.

Is it possible to make a ROCKS bundle with a current version of CentOS?
Something I could load from scratch as a new head node?

Is it possible to upgrade CentOS in place on the existing head node and
then insert-ethers the compute nodes?

Michael