List:       npaci-rocks-discussion
Subject:    [Rocks-Discuss]  Using a later version of gcc
From:       John Price <jprice () csudh ! edu>
Date:       2015-01-26 19:10:18

Hi all:

I have a program that I am unable to compile at present, and the author
of the code tells me that I need at least gcc 4.6, and preferably gcc
4.8.  I currently have version 4.4.

I'm not an expert in this, but my recollection is that gcc is sort of
intimitately connected to the compiler version, so I can't simply update
it.  Is this recollection correct?

If so, would it be possible to install a later version "next to" my
current version, which I could treat as an entirely separate program?

That is, in addition to

/usr/bin/gcc

pointing to the "normal" version, I would have (for instance)

/usr/bin/gcc48

which I could use for this specific purpose?

Thanks,
John

--
John W. Price
Professor and Chair, CSUDH Dept. of Physics