List:       npaci-rocks-discussion
Subject:    Re: [Rocks-Discuss] Is converting an existing Oracle Linux installation to a rocks headnode possible
From:       Chi Chan <chichan2008 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-12-26 3:41:50

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 7:11 AM, O. Baris Malcioglu
<baris.malcioglu@gmail.com> wrote:
> In the process of verifying the conclusion, I've just installed Oracle
> Linux 6.5 using the efi boot image provided in their dvd and a usb
> stick.
>
> I am now wondering if it is possible to convert this installation
> -without messing with the gpt and efi partition-  to a rocks 6.1
> headnode.

(We had some discussions related to Oracle Linux on this list last
year -- you can google search that if you are interested.)

Basically, all Rocks needs is a RHEL rebuild kernel+base OS, as
documented here, so if you already have Oracle Linux working, all you
need is to follow this instruction:

http://central6.rocksclusters.org/roll-documentation/base/6.1/install-frontend.html

> Has anyone done/implemented something like this?

RHEL, CentOS, Oracle Linux, Scientific Linux are all based on the same
kernel version, and are all known to work with Rocks:

https://lists.sdsc.edu/pipermail/npaci-rocks-discussion/2011-December/055915.html

Note that Oracle ships an additional kernel called the "Unbreakable
Enterprise Kernel", which is a newer kernel version with Oracle's own
enhancement, and is supposed to be higher performance. From last
year's discussion, the Open Grid Scheduler / Grid Engine developers
have tested it:

http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/projects/hwloc/GridEnginehwloc.html

UEK is supposed to work with userland apps, and you can always dual
boot back to the RHEL kernel that Oracle Linux ships if you have
drivers that are RHEL only.

--Chi