List:       npaci-rocks-discussion
Subject:    Re: [Rocks-Discuss] network interface
From:       Philip Papadopoulos <philip.papadopoulos () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-05-29 18:17:31

Welcome to biosdev naming, courtesy of Dell! Really, this isn't a
Rocks specific thing. It's a "new and better" way to name Ethernet
devices.  Okay, there is significant debate on that topic in the
blog-o-sphere.

You cannot revert -after- installation, this is something that can
only be fixed at
install time (also not a Rocks specific problem, we're just trying to keep up).

To have eth<n> naming, you have to give biosdevname=0 as boot and install
argument.  That's not too hard. But, is there a problem with em0, em1, ...?
We could have made biosdevname=0 as the default, but chose not too.  There are
some advantages to biosdevnaming, and some obvious disadvantages.

-P

--
Philip Papadopoulos, PhD
University of California, San Diego