List:       npaci-rocks-discussion
Subject:    [Rocks-Discuss] "su -" or "su -l root" works but not "su" why ?
From:       Christophe Guilbert <cguilbert () picasso ! ucsf ! edu>
Date:       2012-03-22 4:06:01

I really apology to insist but the fact that I can't fix root prevent me
of fully use the cluster since I can send command to  the clients.
Let's start from the beginning.
Once I am logged as a user
I become root with the following command  "su -" or "su -l root"
now if I do su , I am asked for the root passwd but nothing after that I
stay a regular user.

How come ?

Christophe Guilbert, Ph.D.
Mission Bay Genentech Hall
UCSF, Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
600 16th Street, Suite # S-126-D
Genentech Hall, MC 2280 San Francisco, CA  94158-2517
Office      : 415-476-0707
Office fax  : 415-476-0688
Email: cguilbert@picasso.ucsf.edu
http://mondale.ucsf.edu