List:       npaci-rocks-discussion
Subject:    Re: [Rocks-Discuss] Does Rocks 5.3 support the Trim command for
From:       Philip Papadopoulos <philip.papadopoulos () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-08-22 14:59:01

from what I can tell, this is kernel-dependent. It  looks like it is
introduced in kernel version 2.6.33.
Rocks will install a variety of Redhat/CentOS variants (RHEL, CentOS,
ScientficLinux, CHAOS). RH patches the
vanilla kernel (and backpatches kernels) to bring in features to "older"
kernels.  The current version is based on 2.6.18 (even my Ubuntu laptop,
with Ubuntu being known to pick the latest packages just for the "fun" of it
is at
2.6.31.) They (RH) may have backpatched, but you would have to look at their
actual (extensive) patch list to see if
this is included.

You can build a custom kernel for your system to get this capability.  You
have to build kernel RPM:
http://www.rocksclusters.org/roll-documentation/base/5.3/customization-kernel.html

-P

--