List:       npaci-rocks-discussion
Subject:    Re: [Rocks-Discuss] Viz 5 x86_64 chromium support for 32-bit apps?
From:       "Mason J. Katz" <mason.katz () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-09-26 21:38:43

There are no plans for Rocks 64bit to include full support for all
32bit libraries.  For this reason, we strongly suggest all Viz Walls
should use Rocks 32bit to support legacy binary apps like Google Earth
that only come in a 32bit version.

The version of Chromium included with Rocks is patched.  Building CR
yourself may or may not work with the existing tools in Rocks.

If there is a strong enough demand we may come up with a plan to
support 32bit on 64bit.  The issue is that most software doesn't use
the /lib vs /lib64 convention of Red Hat and as such we would need to
deeply patch the Makefiles of 100s of pieces of software.  Chromium is
just one of these.  It's solvable but it is a significant effort,
hence it's not done yet.