List:       npaci-rocks-discussion
Subject:    [Rocks-Discuss] Cross-kickstarting problems
From:       "Bart Brashers" <bbrashers () geomatrix ! com>
Date:       2007-01-31 20:07:32

My cluster is x86_64, Rocks 4.1.  I want to add an i386 NAS node (dual
AMD Athlon 2600+ in a Tyan S2466 MB, 3GB RAM).  I finally got some free
time to work on it...

I followed the directions at
http://www.rocksclusters.org/rocks-documentation/4.1/cross.html and
installed the i386 rolls , then "cd /home/install; rocks-dist
--arch=i386 dist".  No problems.

I burned the kernel ISO to a CD (slowly) and put it in the i386 machine.
Started X-Windows on the frontend, ran insert-ethers, and picked "NAS
appliance".  Booted the i386 from the CD, got the splash screen, did
nothing so it would install by itself.  Insert-ethers worked, found a
MAC, then showed the star about the kickstart keys.  F10'd it, and
nas-0-3 now shows up in /etc/hosts.

But the i386 node had a python problem that went by too quickly for me
to see, and re-booted.

I did a "dbreport kickstart nas-0-3 >! /tmp/ks.cfg" on the frontend.  It
did not print any errors to the stdout, and the ks.cfg file looks fine.
The rolls look like they're turned "on":

# dbreport rolls
java 4.1 x86_64 enabled
hpc 4.1 x86_64 enabled
CentOS-4_x86_64 4.1 x86_64 enabled
area51 4.1 x86_64 enabled
ganglia 4.1 x86_64 enabled
pbs 4.1.1 x86_64 enabled
base 4.1 x86_64 enabled
kernel 4.1 x86_64 enabled
area51 4.1 i386 enabled
base 4.1 i386 enabled
CentOS-4_i386 4.1 i386 enabled
ganglia 4.1 i386 enabled
hpc 4.1 i386 enabled
java 4.1 i386 enabled
kernel 4.1 i386 enabled
pbs 4.1.1 i386 enabled

Since it's not PXE booting, the trick of adding "rocks-debug" to
/tftpboot/pxelinux/pxelinux.cfg/default won't work, will it?  Can I type
that into the CD splash screen?

Will the "mem=1024" trick on the CDs splash screen work for a
non-frontend installation?  Do I type "compute mem=1024" or "nas
mem=1024" or just "mem=1024"?

This hardware was once a Rocks 4.0 frontend (though not with this disk)
and I didn't have to supply the "mem=1024" when I built it, IIRC.

Any other suggestions that would allow me to see the error?

Thanks,

Bart