List:       npaci-rocks-discussion
Subject:    Re: [Rocks-Discuss]Any progress with HPL and Pentium 3?
From:       Greg Byshenk <hpc_rocks () byshenk ! net>
Date:       2006-04-28 11:51:24

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 04:15:25PM -1000, Donald E Tripp wrote:
> Has there been any progress with getting HPL to run on Pentium 3's? I have
> not been able to find a workaround for this so far. Any help would be great.
> I'd like to run a benchmark on this cluster for my Masters Prof.

Don-

You aren't specific, but if you are asking about what I think you are, then
you can make it work fairly easily.

As I wrote on 6 April (Subject: Re: [Rocks-Discuss]New install rocks 4.1
- linpack fails) what you need to do is:

- check out the sources
- cd rocks/src/roll/hpc/src/atlas/
- make rpm
- rpm -i --force rocks/src/roll/hpc/RPMS/i386/atlas-3.6-0.i386.rpm
- cd rocks/src/roll/hpc/src/hpl
- make rpm
- cp -p rocks/src/roll/hpc/RPMS/i386/atlas-3.6-0.i386.rpm /home/install/contrib/4.1/i386/RPMS/
- cd /home/install
- rocks-dist dist
- shoot-node <nodes> (or othewise reinstall)

Also in that message:

In searching the lists, I saw some mention of making the piii rpms available,
but no mention of them being so.  Thus, should they be of any use to anyone,
the rpms listed above are available (at least for the time being) at:

   <http://www.byshenk.net/rocks_piii_rpms/>

Note:  these are pure vanilla Rocks4.1 rpms.  I've since rebuilt my test
cluster including the Intel roll (the Intel compilers will be required when
we move to production), but otherwise doing the exact same thing, and it
works the same way.

-greg

--
greg byshenk  -  gbyshenk@byshenk.net  -  Leiden, NL