List:       npaci-rocks-discussion
Subject:    [Rocks-Discuss]Crontab on compute nodes contains MAILTO
From:       Terrence Martin <tmartin () physics ! ucsd ! edu>
Date:       2004-09-24 19:51:28

After getting bit with a sendmail process out of control I found the
following line in my compute nodes crontab file

MAILTO=root

The thing is by default the compute nodes do not run sendmail.

I had added some extra scripts to crontab, that occasionally would cause
an error. This error would cascade into dozens of sendmail processes as
crontab tried to report the error to a sendmail daemon that does not
exist. This cascade when then overloaded the system.

This line probably should not be in compute nodes assuming that the
compute nodes are not running sendmail. Removal of this line, or setting
it to empty prevents crontab from sending email. I am removing this line
now.

Terrence