List:       npaci-rocks-discussion
Subject:    Re: [Rocks-Discuss]MPI and memory + node rescue
From:       Trond SAUE <saue () quantix ! u-strasbg ! fr>
Date:       2003-11-27 8:38:15

On 2003.11.26 16:52, Stephen P. Lebeau wrote:
> If you go here, they talk about creating a Linux floppy
> repair disk.  Make sure to read the README file... they
> require that you make a 1.68MB floppy ( README explains how )
>
> http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-robotti/looplinux/rip/
>
> If that doesn't work...
>
> http://www.toms.net/rb/download.html
>
> I've actually used this one before.
>
> -S

In order to have a look at the disk of my crashed node, I downloaded
RIP-2.2-1680.bin from the first site, but I was not able to boot
properly. However, tomsrtbt-2.0.103 from the second site worked very
well and allowed me to reboot the node as well as mount its disk to
look at messages. Unfortunately, they did not really tell me anything
more...However, it might be an idea for a future release of ROCKS to
include a second "standalone" boot option for the computer nodes, so
that one can access them independent of the frontend....
    All the best,
        Trond Saue
--
Trond SAUE                                (DIRAC:
http://dirac.chem.sdu.dk/)