List:       npaci-rocks-discussion
Subject:    Re: Fw: Re: [Rocks-Discuss]Whole cluster sitting at the grub prompt
From:       Michal Jaegermann <michal () harddata ! com>
Date:       2003-09-29 4:39:31

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 09:01:54PM -0400, Joseph Landman wrote:

>   I don't think this solves the problem.
>
> What is needed is to change the re-install environment (the "Rocks
> Reinstall") in such a way that the information it pulls from disk
> includes a correct modules.conf,

I gave an outline of a method, plus/minus some minor details, which
allows you on re-install to automatically rewrite modules.conf, or
any other configuration data as a matter of fact, any way you desire
which includes, presumably, a "correct" one.  Obviously this means
that you do have a connection through which you can reinstall and
there is an assumption that a control over a content of
/etc/modules.conf is enough for your purposes.  But both were sort
of given in your description of the problem.

> The default choice in the re-install environment is different in
> most of the cases I have setup, than the original install
> environment.

Indeed, but using some trickery in "post" you can modify these
default choices.   You only have to take care that this happens
before the first attempt to load modules and this is doable.

I do not claim that this is the most obvious or the most convenient
way; only that this seems to be feasible.  I also do not really know
how cooperative will be your frontend which stores MACs in a
'cluster' database.  Quite possibly you will be forced to rewrite
network configuration data on nodes too.  Still not out of the
question.

  Michal