List:       npaci-rocks-discussion
Subject:    Re: [Rocks-Discuss]How to change the probing order of the network modules.
From:       Roy Dragseth <Roy.Dragseth () cc ! uit ! no>
Date:       2003-01-15 9:25:33

On Tuesday 14 January 2003 17:55, Mark Edel wrote:
> We had the same problem, recently. I was able to change the order in
/etc/modules.conf, i.e.:

> alias eth0 tg3
> alias eth1 eepro100
>
> The note I wrote to myself at the time suggests that it may be the order and
not the assignments themselves that's important, so be sure to put eth0
first.  It was quite confusing reading accounts from people who fixed the
problem by simply swapping the order of the cards on the bus.  As you point
out, the assignments are made when the drivers discover the cards, in the
order in which the drivers are invoked, so swapping only works when all the
cards use the same driver.

This didn't work for me.  Instead I just plugged in another Gbit card instead
of the 100Mbs one and everything was ok.  A bit annoying having to do that
but I'm sick and tired of fighting with the linux device naming scheme.

Thanks,
r.

--

  The Computer Center, University of Tromsų, N-9037 TROMSŲ, Norway.
	      phone:+47 77 64 41 07, fax:+47 77 64 41 00