List:       novell
Subject:    Re: Oplocks, ncpserver, ConsoleOne, linux
From:       "joea () j4computers ! com" <joea () j4computers ! com>
Date:       2009-05-07 16:10:33

Never Mind.    TID 7002459.   Goodness me.

joe a.

> > > "joea@j4computers.com" <joea@j4computers.com> 05/07/09 11:04 AM >>>
Does OpLocks setting have any meaning for non Novell Client applications?

OES1 Linux, using ncpserver (ncpcon) to publish ncp volumes, in order to mount them \
on an "admin" server, where we run ConsoleOne. Having had some interesting issues \
with apparent db corruption (GW domains), revisited oplocks.

TID's etc, seem to focus on the Novell Client (windows) as being involved. Memory \
holds fragments of previous discussions that seem to say this is not an issue if not \
using Windows/Novell client. But it strikes me that ConsoleOne may attempt similar \
shenanigans with file locking, etc.

I followed TID 7001108 and used Remote Manager to set oplocks to 0. Even saw it was \
written to /etc/opt/novell/ncpserv.conf. However, did not see ndsd restart, the \
manual change section claims must be done. I would have thought it would really \
require the volumes to be dismounted, at both ends, for the change to take effect, \
and would have little to do with eDirectory.

Illumination?

joe a.