List:       novell
Subject:    Re: iPrint issues?
From:       "Randy Grein" <RGrein () tpchd ! org>
Date:       2009-01-23 17:17:36

Well, if you want to talk about that....

The big Canon iR series are likewise, well, poorly put together for anything more \
than a small workgroup. They print well enough, but they include a 'count' function \
that integrates well with the front panel. Only problem is every workstation has to \
be configured to print direct, no intervening server - not even direct print in \
iPrint will work. Of course it's not a big deal to capture printer data through \
iPrint and copier counts through the front panel, but accounting doesn't like that.

Randy Grein
Sr. Network Engineer

> > > "Michael Glenn" <MGlenn@cco.state.oh.us> 1/23/2009 9:08 AM >>>
<rant>
My only current heartburn with printing is with the current crop of Xerox drivers. \
Completely unsuited for a business network of any scale. </rant>

> > > "Randy Grein" <RGrein@tpchd.org> 01/23/2009 10:49 >>>
Is DS healthy?

Only problem I've had is occasional driver corruption; reinstall the driver and it's \
good. My suspicion is that it's a hardware problem with that cluster, but it's not \
important enough to debug.

Randy Grein
Sr. Network Engineer

> > > "Michael Mollard" <MollardM@mbc.qld.edu.au> 1/22/2009 6:10 PM >>>
Hi all,
We are running iPrint on a NW65sp7 server.  Clients are XPSP3, with iPrint 5.12

When we access the /ipp webpage to install printers, we are getting lots of "1392 \
Directory is Corrupt.. " type errors.  This is happening on various printers and \
various PCs. If I use Add/Remove Printers and browse the NDPS/Controlled Printers to \
manually install the printer, some if the printers have "Status: Raedy", while others \
have "Error: The network Address is invalid".

I have done a NDPS database sync on the Print Server. It all seems to be ok.

Has anyone seen this sort of thing before.  It has me stumped.  We eventually manage \
to combine uninstalling/reinstalling the iprint client, rebooting, and tweaking to \
get it working in most places, but it isn't a good advertisement for iPrint.

Open to any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks,

Michael Mollard
Network Administrator
Moreton Bay College
mollardm@mbc.qld.edu.au
http://www.mbc.qld.edu.au
Ph: (Direct) 07 3907 5712 / (Mob) 0417 631 801
Fax: 07 3390 8919 ( http://www.mbc.qld.edu.au )

Disclaimer: Whilst every attempt has been made to ensure that material contained in \
this email is free from computer viruses or other defects, the attached files are \
provided, and may only be used, on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility \
for use of the material transmitted. This email is intended only for the use of the \
individual or entity names above and may contain information that is confidential and \
privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any \
dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you \
have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by return email or \
telephone 07 3390 8555 and destroy the original message. The contents of this message \
are provided without responsibility in law for their accuracy or otherwise, and \
                without assumption of a duty of care by the School.

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information. \
It has been scanned for viruses. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify \
the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this e-mail and destroy any copies. \
Any dissemination, use, review, disclosure, or distribution of this information by a \
                person other than the intended recipient is unauthorized and may be \
                illegal.