List:       novell
Subject:    Re: Change file ownership recursively
From:       Toomas Aas <toomas.aas () raad ! tartu ! ee>
Date:       2006-08-30 15:08:53

Toomas Aas wrote:

> Since support.novell.com seems to be temporarily unavailable, I have
> to ask this simple question here.
>
> What is the best way to recursively change file ownership of a directory tree?
> So far, I've been using flag /s command, but now for whatever reason it refuses
> to cooperate:
>
> FLAG-4.16 PTF-980818-350: This utility was unable to set the attributes.

The answer I accidentally stumbled upon during randomly testing various things is
so interesting I decided to post it here.

The problem occurred only with one user, whose name is 9 characters long and
contains a slash. The command successfully worked with any other existing users
I tried.

Generally the command I used is (uninterestingly)

flag *.* /name=.user.ou.org /s

But in this particular case, I had to put the username in quotes:

flag *.* /name=".user-name.ou.org" /s

--
Toomas Aas