List:       novell
Subject:    Re: Hardware certification for NetWare
From:       "Peter Van Lone" <petervl () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-08-23 20:24:01

On 8/23/06, Alister Leask <awleask@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was surprised that this development has taken place so quickly -
<snip>
>Not to mention getting to grips with linux security.

I understand that ....

<snip>

> BTW, I understand that some opf the manufacturers I mentioned have tested
> NW6.5 on the new hardware without problems, it's just that they may not be
> certifying NW.

I'm certain that will be the case, for a generation or so on mostly
vanilla hardware ... the new raid controller drivers will "just work"
but won't be certified. But at the margins (more specialized hardware)
this will be dicey. That's my guess anyway.

> I understood that NW6.5 SP6 was supposed to have in at a NetWare kernel that
> was paravirtualised so that it could run in XEN on SLES10. The invitation to
> test/evaluate SP6 doesn't mention this at all.

I have not heard anything about that, either.

I wish there was a Novell employee or two that lurked on this list, as
Morris does on the ngwlist ... it would be good to occasionally be
able to get the skinny on stuff like this.

Peter