List:       novell
Subject:    Re: Quiet list
From:       Joe Doupnik <JRD () cc ! usu ! edu>
Date:       2006-05-30 20:04:28

> 	Meanwhile those of us running the latest NW 6.5 kernel can relax
> this summer and tend to larger projects.
> 	Joe D.
>
>Thank God!  It'd be nice not to have to worry about Netware memory leaks
>for a while.
>
>-Matt
>--
>Matt Smith, Senior IT Manager, Core Services Support
>Enterprise IT Services	The University of Georgia
----------
	Indeed, it seems to be true. The NW65OS5A.exe version of the kernel
does a much better job of keeping memory usable. The only serious long term
drain on my gear is memory consumed and retained by User region apps, typically
Java. NDS is hard limited and preallocates memory at boot time. NSS has its
Closed File Cache trimmed to 1001 entries. File Cache space is preset to 1GB
(not autotuning initially to 2GB and then end up at the same place but slowly
under duress). I trimmed User space to 670MB, the smallest I could set and
it is plenty for my particular configuration; that's the server.exe -u bbbbbb
thing.
	Finally, at last, NW 6.5 has what I term elasticity: squeeze it,
release, and it rebounds nearly completely (Java excepted, natch). I do
recommend giving this edition a careful look.
	Oh, and give it a new CD now and then to stay happy...
	Joe D.