List:       novell
Subject:    Re: OT ? SLES9 serial ports, fubar (?)
From:       Joe Doupnik <JRD () cc ! usu ! edu>
Date:       2006-05-21 23:21:40

>Joe Doupnik<JRD@cc.usu.edu> Boldly Declared: 5/21/2006 6:16 PM:
>>>Installed SLES9, updated via YOU.  Installed a multiport serial/modem board,
>>>Installed to build a FAX server.
>>>
>>>Can see the board's serial ports, as tty(n)'s using 'dmesg | egrep tty' ,
>>>Can but trying to talk to the ports, using minicom, for instance, just seems
>>>Can to hang.
>>>
>>>Selecting "modem" in YAST, finds the card, and knows it's name, but the
>>>Selecting "device" selection box is grey'd and will not accept input.
>>>
>>>I looked at rc.serial, but it's just noise, to me.
>>>
>>>Any suggestions?
>>>
>>>joea
>> ---------------
>> 	The serial board may require its driver to be loaded (insmod name).
>> There is a spectrum of serial drivers included with Linux. Some drivers
>> may use their own device names (/dev/foobar).
>> 	Joe D.
>>

>The board came with a CD, but no linux drivers seemed evident.
>
>They do describe some "setserial" commands for setup, that are supposed to
end up in rc.serial (but no idea where, the existing rc.serial (example??)
 might as well be in on clay tablets).

>Does "setserial" imply no driver needed?  Groping about in the dark.
 Not just for teenagers, anymore.

>joea
--------
	The file is actually /etc/rc.d/setserial on SLES9. That is a script
which tries to find which devices are serial port thingies and activate them.
Your vendor's script likely has some instructions, or if not the context of
things will have to be used. The script presumes any driver has been loaded.
	This compare their additions with what is in the system setserial
file (make a copy of the original, etc).
	Masonry work. Well, even those most famous tablets written in stone
have translations, so your clay ones can readily be decoded. Rather than be
flumoxed, which is our fate it seems, try being clever and outwit the creators
of the clay variety. Use their info as clues to the real story.
	I went through an exercise recently with rather complex and opaque
networking software which is filled with unstated gotchas, all in a row so
that just one is enough to collapse the house of cards. I found ways of
dealing with the critical pieces, discovering what happens, doing the right
thing. T'was not easy, but I got there after putting aside emotion so that
I could think about matters.
	Joe D.