List:       novell
Subject:    RE: Disk Space Usage
From:       "Teets, David (DOB)" <David.Teets () budget ! state ! ny ! us>
Date:       2004-10-21 19:38:49

I just took a look at WinDirStat, and it is a good quick way to get
current usage data.  I didn't read the docs yet, but didn't see an
obvious way to save data for analysis, or reporting.

I have be using JRBUtilities GETQUOTA.EXE to generate weekly/daily
volume reports for years.
Highly flexible, powerful, and CHEAP. Some utilities (don't know about
this one) can be downloaded in a free package. See their web site
<http://jrbsoftware.com/>  E-mail support has always been great.

I generate statistics based on both file owner, and directory structure
usage to find the guilty disk hog, and what the #@%! he has been doing
since xx/xx/xx.  CSV output is imported into Excel for analysis and
reporting.
I also generate compression benchmarks for those massive decompression
events when someone searches every file multiple times for various
strings.

PS: If this post makes it through, thanks to Joe A & Joe D for the
assist.