List:       novell
Subject:    RE: Speaking of Certificate Server...
From:       "Mark Prinsen" <mark () prinsens ! com>
Date:       2004-02-26 2:04:14

> I have had problems in that past where a "simple" IP address
> change would result in some services like web not loading
> with KMO and SAS errors, and no amount of tinkering would
> fix, (even using the convoluted command line TIDs), other
> than a reinstall from scratch.

These are the kind of things I was refering to when I said this stuff seems
fragil.  I've run into these kinds of trouble at least a half dozen times in
the past couple of years and it was *never* precluded by an IP change.
Something just broke, SAS wouldn't load at boot time, NDS had bad objects
apparently, and a Novell tech would have to hack into NDS to fix it.  This
has caused me to be really gun shy when it comes to this encryption stuff.
Having to touch every server in a tree to fix a certificae problem seems too
extreem.  It also makes me look bad to my clients when what appears to be a
simple load error on a server turns into a mamoth NDS rebuild that *I* can't
fix without spending days on the phone with Novell pre-tech support to make
my way up to the ivory tower people who actually understand the stuff.

Can you tell I'm frustrated????  :-)