List:       novell
Subject:    Re: Server SLOWS
From:       Joe Doupnik <JRD () cc ! usu ! edu>
Date:       2003-09-25 2:06:19

>About once a week my Novell 6 sp3 server runs so slow it seems like it
>stops responding.  This server is running GroupWise, Web Access,
>Arcserve 9, and  Innoculan etc.   I couldn't open E-mail messages,
>couldn't save to network folders, but was able to login.   It doesn't
>crash and create an entry in the abend log and the only message I seen
>on the console screen was:
>@org.apache.tomcat.util threads.thread pool$control runnable.run
>(Threadpool.java.complied code)
>I have an open call with Novell but we try one thing and wait and I'm
>running out of patience.  Any suggestions?
---------
	A guess, two actually.
	Guess #1. Your server is low on memory and swapping. Look at
the usage of the swap file. If it is non-trivial then add memory.
	Guess #2. The Java part of things is starved for memory too,
typically is appetite for stack space. You may need to tune both
Java and Tomcat for more available memory, and maybe more available
threads to handle requests through them.
	We presume you do not compress files. We presume your virus
software is fleet of foot and not dragging the system to its knees.
	Joe D.