List:       novell
Subject:    Re: Nprinter (Dos) Problem
From:       Vinay Prabhu <vinay () VVDESIGN ! COM>
Date:       2000-07-31 5:25:14

> Date:    Fri, 28 Jul 2000 14:52:15 +2
> From:    nsp@IAFRICA.COM
> Subject: Nprinter (Dos) Problem
>
> Hi
>
> I'm running Intranetware for Small Business 4.11.
>
> Every now and then I have a problem with nprinter on my Dos PC's.
> Print jobs go to the queues but do not print. When I try to load
> Nprinter, it responds by saying it is already loaded.

> Even if I reboot the PC it gives the same mesage.
>
> This problem usually occurs after a PC hangs ... but I can't really
> pin it on that alone. Strangley the printers start working the next
> day.

<snip>

This usually happens when you have to reboot your hanged pc. But
the server is not aware that your pc has been rebooted. And hence,
the print server is assuming that the printer is available and hence
it displays "Waiting for Job" though the system is rebooted.

        And this very same message does not allow you to re-initialise
your printer with the nprinter command. You can check  the
following options :

Point No. 1 :

        Make sure that no other person is running the nprinter
command on his PC where the printer is not installed.

Point No. 2 :

        Check out the status of the printer with NPrinter -S
        And if at all you find the status as installed then you can
remove the printer by giving the Nprinter -r command.

Point No. 3 :

        There is an option to automatically capture the printer when the
system is rebooted where you usually lock the node address for
the printer on the server itself.