List:       novell
Subject:    Re: Netscape Enterprise Server for NW5
From:       Lawrence Sobilo <lsobilo () WHITINGCORP ! COM>
Date:       2000-07-27 14:33:32

We use NEWS with NW 5.1 for our Imtranet, with NDS authentication. =
Generally works fine. Some quirks:

The Netware version of Perl 5 is not completely compatible with Perl 5 =
found on Unix platforms and Win32. We had to rewrite some scripts.

Database access is limited. Use SQL Connector to access data bases on NT =
server, or NW Oracle data bases ONLY. SQL Connector did not work after NW =
5.1 upgrade. Novell tech support was useless. Contacted the author of SQL =
Connector nad got a few hints. Installed it on another NW 5.1 server that =
did not have a previous version of NEWS. Worked fine. Found that the 5.1 =
upgrade does not do a good job upgrading NEWS. Best to unsinstall, then =
re-install NEWS.

Performance is good.

Can run ASP, Front Page extension. Haven't tried these yet.

Our biggest gripe is CGI support. Little help on Perl, Novell SCript for =
Netware, etc.

Larry Sobilo

>>> benjamin.johnston@AU.UNISYS.COM 07/26/2000 11:52:09 PM >>>
Is there anyone out there using the above for Web services?

I'd be interested to know how users find it in comparison with a microsoft
solution.

Regards,

Ben Johnston
UNISYS