List:       novell
Subject:    Re: ADSM, Netware, and Groupwise 5.x (corrected)
From:       Jonathan Burt <jon.burt () CONTINUING-EDUCATION ! OXFORD ! AC ! UK>
Date:       2000-04-28 16:12:36

On 28 Apr 2000, at 11:09, Luke Mitchell wrote:
> Do any of you have experience using ADSM to back up Netware servers?  I currently \
> use Arcserve, but my organization uses ADSM for everything else and is starting to \
> use it on the Netware and NT side.
Yes, we use it as a secondary backup as the service is provided
by the central Computing Service at my University. It seems to be
troublefree on the client end (the only bit I have had experience
with), although the client is not pretty...
We use Backup Exec as our main backup tool. It runs on an NT
server (less troublesome for me than on a NetWare server I am
sorry to say) and backs up both NetWare and NT servers with no
problem at all.

> One obvious concern is that ADSM doesn't have agents for Groupwise.  Are there any \
> 3rd party agents?  From researching the knowlegbase, I learn that Novell's \
> recommendation for backup is to use DBCOPY.EXE to export the databases to static \
> files.  Has that been effective for all of you for
disaster recovery? (Assuming the backup files are then copied to tape).
I can't help here I am afraid.
Jonathan Burt, IT Manager
University of Oxford Department for Continuing Education
Rewley House, 1 Wellington Square, Oxford OX1 2JA, UK.
Tel: 01865-280340