List:       novell
Subject:    Re: NW 4.11 security broadcast
From:       "Baird, John" <BAIRD2 () WHIO ! LINCOLN ! AC ! NZ>
Date:       2000-02-29 2:38:04

>   We had something odd happen this morning that I haven't seen before. I
> searched Novell's knowlegebase and can't find any reference to it.  All of the
> users who were logged into the server at the time were treated to a broadcast
> message reading:
>
> 10:58:34 am:  SERVER-4.11-4535
> Connection 261, User jdoe.User.Acad.Main.GC attempted a remote console
> function without sufficient privileges.
>
>   My baseless assumption is that the user tried to issue a command via a
> netware-aware program, but not rconsole.  There was an rconsole connection
> failure message preceding this on the console screen.  Anyone know what's
> going on here or how to find out?  BTW, this didn't make it into the system
> error log.

Steve

You are correct. The server will produce this message if a user without
sufficient privileges (supervisory or console operator) tries using certain
APIs from a client program. These include NWSMMountVolume, NWSMDismountVolume,
NWSMLoadNLM, etc. Maybe someone has been playing with a copy of my serv_cmd
program which can issue these requests, but it should check for sufficient
rights before issuing the requests to avoid such broadcasts.

John