List:       novalug
Subject:    X config problem
From:       "Ide, Jim" <jide () lgb-inc ! com>
Date:       2000-12-29 13:58:39

I have a Dell OptiPlex GX110 computer with Pentium III 667mhz,
256 mb ram, 14 gb hd, ATI xpert 98 pci video card (8 mb memory),
Dell UltraScan 800hs monitor.

I have previously installed redhat 6.2 on this box, and have gotten X to
work with no problems.

I have installed OpenBSD 2.8 on this box.
(I hope this question is not too far off topic)
X starts ok, but when
I shut down X, either by selecting Exit from the menu, or by pressing
ctrl-alt-backspace, the monitor never changes back to text mode.
After a moment, the monitor displays "out of scan range".  I then
type 'shutdown -r now' and press enter, the box reboots normally.

I have tried this with a different monitor, and got the same results.

Any suggestions?

Thanks -
Jim