List:       novalug
Subject:    [novalug] strange happenings with uugetty??, or MODEM MADNESS???
From:       "Miles D. Oliver" <moliver () linux ! lgi ! com>
Date:       1999-09-30 20:09:26

 I'm pulling my hair out on this one..

 1. On the server, running minicom attached to /dev/ttyS1, I can see the
RING on the terminal and the modem answers and gives carrier 'squawk'.

 2. Get out of minicom, edit /etc/inittab restart it and uugetty is
clearly running,

  492  S1 S    0:00 /sbin/uugetty -d /etc/conf.uugetty.ttyS1 ttyS1
F115200 vt100

dial in and the modem clearly answers, I hear the distinctive 'click' but
NO carrier 'squawk'.

 Im almost 100% sure that the modem is being fed the INIT strings in
'/etc/conf.uugetty.ttyS1'.

 My next step is to swap out the serial cable to make sure that I dont
have one that isnt supporting all the modem control signals.

 Something tells me that this is the problem but I cannot confirm.

 This is on a p166 dell with a USR Sportster Ext 56K and Red Hat 5.2 out
of the box..

 Anybody else seen this??

 Miles D. Oliver
 http://linux.lgi.com/~moliver