List:       novalug
Subject:    RE: [novalug] Which OS?
From:       Brian Leeper <qaz () eni ! net>
Date:       1999-09-29 3:12:25

> There were some questions about the IP stability in the early 2.2.x kernels
> which makes me a little nervous.  I feel that currently FreeBSD is a

I never noticed any--I only have maybe 15 servers running 2.2.2, 2.2.3, or
2.2.4. I don't know for sure, but the people who use them certainly
haven't been knocking on my door with problems.

> don't think the same way.  Linux is a much more fluid environment, interfaces
> and internals can change drastically between releases while FreeBSD is very

This appears to be changing, based on the reluctance of the kernel
maintainers for Linux to merge Ingo Molnar's RAID patches and the knfsd
patches into the kernel. They're afraid of breaking the user-level
utilities for both.

Which is about how it should work--I do not expect to be able to replace a
2.0.x kernel with a 2.2.x kernel and have everything work properly.

I should, however, be able to replace a 2.0.x kernel with any newer 2.0.x,
or 2.2.x with a newer 2.2.x, and not have problems.

Brian