List:       novalug
Subject:    Re: Wiring questions re: COVAD DSL
From:       Brian Leeper <qaz () eni ! net>
Date:       1999-09-29 2:55:31

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Dan Lund wrote:

> My mistake there, I thought you meant before it hit the NID...
> :)

Well, splices should be no problem before the NID (or after it, or
anywhere in the circuit) as long as they're done correctly. Twisting the
wires and using electrical tape doesn't count as "correct".

The best way is to use the 3M Scotchlock splices--Radio Shack sells these
in a pack of 4 for $1.99 or so. They're easily identified since they have
a red or yellow "button" in the center that you press down with a pair of
pliers after inserting the two wires (which should not be stripped). These
are also waterproof so you can use them outdoors if needed.

I've actually heard of these being used to splice Cat 5. The spliced cable
still passed the 100MHz Cat 5 tests, if you can believe that.

Brian