List:       novalug
Subject:    [ma-linux] Firewall for a laptop SUMMARY
From:       Theodore Ruegsegger <truegsegger () csc ! com>
Date:       2006-07-26 0:33:52

Thanks to all who replied to my query about setting up a firewall on a
laptop.

It appears that iptables is still the workhorse in common use, but
today there are convenient tools to set it up without struggling with
the rule syntax.

Maxwell pointed out that firewall software "is included by default in
modern versions of Linux" and, sure enough, Kubuntu has
iptables. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be enabled by default,
nor does KDE's System Settings even mention it, much less provide a
tool.

However, as you all said, there are many to choose from. I first tried
kmyfirewall but found it a bit unclear and the default typeface was a
bit hard on the eyes, so I moved on to guarddog.

Excellent documentation, but don't try to read it on the website--way
too slow. Instead, just install guarddog, start it (if you start it
from the KDE menu it will prompt for a password to work as root, or
you can simply say sudo guarddog from a shell) and press the help
button. Up it comes.

A straightforward tutorial that defines the terms and explains the
model, and it's simple to set up filters for incoming and outgoing
traffic, including user-defined zones to cover your home or office
LAN. My only glitch was discovering that Lotus Notes uses a port of
its own (1352) that I had to enter myself.

Thanks again for the helpful responses.

Ted