List:       novalug
Subject:    [ma-linux] kernel warning
From:       Sam Rosenfeld <sam1 () speakeasy ! net>
Date:       2006-07-25 21:02:07

Thanks to Michael Stone, Don Groves, jr., Joseph Yao, et al.  I suppose
the time has come for me to find a likely source for help on my problem --
When I try to use apt-get I get the following error message.

You are attempting to install a kernel version that is the same as the
version you are currently running (version 2.4.27-2-386). The modules list
is quite likely to have been changed, and the modules dependency file
/lib/modules/2.4.27-2-386/modules.dep needs to be re-built. It can not be
built correctly right now, since the module list for the running kernel
are likely to be different from the kernel installed. I am creating a new
modules.dep file, but that may not be correct. It shall be regenerated
correctly at next reboot.

I repeat: you have to reboot in order for the modules file to be created
correctly. Until you reboot, it may be impossible to load some modules.
Reboot as soon as this install is finished (Do not reboot right now, since
you may not be able to boot back up.

/bin/bash: error while loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2: cannot open
Failed to create initrd image.
dpkg: error processing kernel-image-2.4.27-2-386 (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 9
kernel-image-2.4.27-2-386
Ack!  Something bad happened while installing packages.  Trying to
recover:
Setting up kernel-image-2.4.27-2-386 (2.4.27-10sarge1) ...

J.Y:  > First do an 'ldconfig -p | grep libdl'.  Save the results.  Do
> an 'ldconfig', then run the first command line again.  Compare the two.
> Let us know.

The following is a copy of the results, which are the same in both cases.

bdl.so.2 (libc6, hwcap: 0x8000000000000000, OS ABI: Linux 2.6.0) =>
/lib/tls/libdl.so.2
        libdl.so.2 (libc6, OS ABI: Linux 2.4.1) => /lib/libdl.so.2
                libdl.so (libc6, OS ABI: Linux 2.4.1) => /usr/lib/libdl.so

My system is: Four-year-old Dell 8200 with 2Ghz Pentium 4;  Distro: Debian
3.1 (sarge);   Kernel: Linux 2.4.27;  ISP: Speakeasy DSL.

Any suggestions for dependable help?

Thanks.

Sam