List:       novalug
Subject:    [novalug] Report on the Gateway Solo 5300 P3 700 laptop and Ubuntu
From:       Bonnie Dalzell <bdalzell () qis ! net>
Date:       2006-07-25 2:29:29

It was a success. Initially it did not want to load the GUI desktop when
it only had 128 megs of ram but we brought it up to a 256 meg chip and a
64 meg chip and Ubuntu came up off the Live disk. Subsequently I installed
Ubuntu from the most recent Live disk and they put a used NetGear WiFi
card (it is labeled "Comcast") in the card slot and it found my Wifi
network just fine. In addition the sound seems to work also.  Computer
Renaissance is looking for another 256 meg memory chip for me. Remember
you can never be too slim, too rich or have too much memory :-)

So I have a working $240 Ubuntu laptop! Yeh! Also this Ubuntu version
installed Tk as well as Perl so I did not have to do a synaptic fetch to
get Tk.

I ran GIMP and OO Writer and it seems to be nimble enough for a protable
system.

                       Bonnie Dalzell, MA
mail:5100 Hydes Rd ---- Hydes MD USA 21082-----EMAIL:bdalzell@qis.net

freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog

Editor Net.Pet Online Animal Magazine  - http://www.netpetmagazine.com
HOME http://www.qis.net/~borzoi/          BUSINESS http://www.batw.com