List:       novalug
Subject:    Re: [novalug] how to find and stop a cron job
From:       Nino Pereira <pereira () speakeasy ! net>
Date:       2006-07-24 22:55:02

Rob,

I believe that your suggestion must have done the trick.
I did see in the file /var/spool/cron/crontab/pereira the
offending line. I added a comment, and then commented it out as
follows:

# stopped Journyx' wtjob (which was deleted) from sending mail telling
me of error
# 1,11,21,31,41,51 * * * *  /home/pereira/jtime/jtime/pi/bin/wtjob #
Journyx Timesheet maintenance

What worried me was the statement at the file's beginning, both in
my file and in yours (repayne):

# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE - edit the master and reinstall.
# (/tmp/crontab.XXXX8XqV5E installed on Fri Jul  2 00:31:58 2004)
# (Cron version -- $Id: crontab.c,v 2.13 1994/01/17 03:20:37 vixie Exp
$)
#
# start dnetc, if it's not running
#
*/10 * * * * $HOME/.scripts/start-dnetc.sh > /dev/null
#
# Submit Distributed Net blocks
#
55 18,19 * * *  $HOME/SpareCPU/dnetc --flush > /dev/null
55 19 * * *  $HOME/SpareCPU/dnetc --fetch --btime rc5-72 22 > /dev/null

So now I finally know how you manage to start dnetc every time
right after I do a booboo and have to reboot.

This brings up the next question I've been pondering. I'd like to
back up my computer automatically every day. Presumably, I can add
to the file /var/spool/cron/crontab/pereira a line like,

23 19 * * 6 /home/pereira/maintenance/machine-update -m

which is already in my crontab file: it sends machine data to the
linux counter. But, what is the correct command? My guess is:

# backup to 133 1-st minute of 4 am every day every month every week
1   4  *  *  * /home/pereira/maintenance/backup-133

but, how do I add the password that's necessary?

Thank you, it's always educational to get your solutions.
Since you did send your reply to the list, I will do the same
so that others can profit too.

Nino