List:       novalug
Subject:    Re: [novalug] What is msec and why is it changing my permissions?
From:       donjr <djr1952 () hotpop ! com>
Date:       2006-02-23 11:29:19

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 21:20 -0800, Igor Birman wrote:
> Thanks.  These sites are pretty confusing.  There does not seem to be
> much documentation for it.  I changed the UMASK_USER value from 022 to
> 002 in /etc/sysconfig/msec.  I think it will take care of it, but I am
> not sure.
>
> Igor

Note I do NOT run Mandrake here or have it installed.

After a quick read through the docs at:
<http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/KB/SecureSmsec>

I'd suggest either of the following changes:

  1) Set CHECK_PERMS to NO.
    This would disable the checking of ALL /home directories and files.
     {: if you don't have any "bad" and/or "untrusted" users this
        wouldn't be opening to big of a security hole. :}
or
  2) To the EXCLUDE_REGEXP section add the following three(3) lines:
     EXCLUDE_REGEXP=${EXCLUDE_REGEXP}'\|^/home/backup'
     EXCLUDE_REGEXP=${EXCLUDE_REGEXP}'\|^/home/elysa'
     EXCLUDE_REGEXP=${EXCLUDE_REGEXP}'\|^/home/www'

   or another way to EXCLUDE all /home directories/files from checking:
     EXCLUDE_REGEXP=${EXCLUDE_REGEXP}'\|^/home'
      {: if you don't have any "bad" and/or "untrusted" users this
        wouldn't open to big of a security hole. :}

 Don E. Groves, Jr.

$ /usr/games/fortune :
I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I
didn't know.
 -- Mark Twain